Monday, June 24, 2024

On Brexit and Democracy

From a letter given to constituents in the Pinkneys Green ward, 9th June 2024.

Having taken an avid interest in politics since the 2010 General Election, I became disillusioned with politics in the fallout of the Brexit vote. Brexit involved the largest democratic exercise in the U.K.'s history, yet exactly what the vote would mean constitutionally was immediately thrown in to question. The debate became so toxic that many wished to no longer hear the B-word. Many also put their trust in different parties, voting differently because of the Government's indecision.

Brexit brought into sharp contrast the inefficiencies of our political system.

As an independent I am not interested in towing a party line but doing the best I can for my constituents. I am for electoral reform and believe in [having one] proportionally elected [House] and [one] constituency-elected [House] - the latter because I know how important local representation is.

Our current system puts national, ideological representation and local representation in conflict - but this CAN be different! I will do my job as a constituency MP by representing constituents and consulting them regularly - but also advocate for REFORM such that ideological representation may also happen locally. Paradoxically, I urge you to vote independent, ultimately, to allow better party-political representation.

No comments:

Post a Comment